Leucorrhoea, or the whites, is a symptom of many diseases peculiar to women. It is a condition in which there is a whitish discharge from the vagina resulting from inflammation or irritation of the membrane lining the genital organs of the female. where to buy hibiscus powderIt may be thick and viscid, and foul smelling. Usually the normal secretions are slimy and slightly sticky and the quantity of vaginal secretions varies throughout the menstrual cycle, peaking at ovulation and also increasing when under emotional stress.
Causes and symptoms:
In addition to infection, some hormonal and metabolic disorders are also responsible for the condition. It occurs commonly among weak, emaciated, and anaemic women. It can also be due to inflammation of the womb following childbirth, displacement of the uterus, or gonorrhoea. Among young females, it may be due to thread worms, as the result of general debility combined with lack of cleanliness or infections.
In addition to the whitish discharge from the vaginal tract, there is weakness as well as pain in the lumbar region and the calves. A burning sensation may be present along with constipation. In a chronic form, leucorrhoea causes irritability. The patients develops black patches under he eyes. Late nights precipitate the attack.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Leucorrhoea:
The first step to be taken in cases of leucorrhoea, therefore, is for the patient to exercise her body by running or by household work. A regular bath with warm water and a strong soap can also help in many cases where the cause is lack of personal hygiene. Wholemeal flour and green vegetables should form the major part of the diet. Milk and milk products should be avoided in the first fortnight of the treatment. Take sun bath everyday for fifteen to twenty minutes. Sit in the sun till you start perspiring. Sipping warm water while sun bathing will help induce sweat. Bathe with cold water after sun bathing. Sun bathing should be precede a meal by one hour or succeed it by two to three hours.
1. Soak about 10gm of dry coriander in 100ml of water overnight, and drink the water in the early morning.
2. A regular douching of the genital tract with a decoction of the bark of the banyan tree or the fig tree is very helpful. A tablespoonful each of the powders of the bark of the trees should be boiled in a liter of water till it is reduced to half. Douching with the lukewarm decoction keeps the vaginal tract healthy and clean.
3. Put a few hibiscus rosa-sinensis in hot ghee and sauté for about 5 minutes. Cool the ghee. Take out the flowers and eat it.
4. Fenugreek seeds should be taken internally in the form of tea and also used as a douche.
5. Mixed 1 cup of water with a cup of milk and boil it. Add 1 tablespoon of dry ginger to it. When it reduces to half add brown sugar to it. Have this for 5- 6 weeks.
6. Mix a tablespoon of dried amla seeds powder and a ripe banana and take it everyday for at least 40 days.
7. A decoction of the fresh walnut leaves can be beneficially used as a douche in the treatment of leucorrhea.
8. Kumari (Aloe vera) is another wonderful remedy for the condition; it tones up the tissues of the uterus and prevents the exudation of any abnormal fluids.
9. Alum or tankan is also one of the drugs used in leucorrhoea.
Ayurvedic medicines and prescription:
The medicine of choice for this condition is Pradarantaka Lauha, a compound of some calxes, of which iron is the most important. A proper course of treatment should be:
1. Pradarantaka Lauha; Chandraprabha; Pushyanuga Churna: 240mg of Pradrantaka Lauha, 500 mg of Chandraprabha and 1gm of Pushyanuga Churna should be taken every morning and evening with decoction of the root of Kusha grass.
2. Yamani Shadava: 4 gm to be taken twice daily.
3. Ashokarishta: 20 ml to be taken twice daily along with Yamani Shadava.
Alternatively the following prescription should be advice:
1. Kukkutanda Twakbhama; Yashaba Bhasma; powder of Amla: 240mg of Kukkutanda Twakbhasma, 120mg of Yashada Bhasma and 500 mg of powder of Amla to be taken in the morning and evening with honey.
2. Chandraprabha; Triphala Powder: 500 mg of Chandraprabha and 3 gm of Triphala powder to be taken at mid-day and night with warm water.
3. Darukadi Churna: 6 gm may be taken last thing at night with cow's milk.
Diet and other regimen:
A strict dietary regimen is necessary. Fried and spicy foods are to be avoided, as are pickles and other savouries. The patient should be encouraged to chew betel nut (supari) after meals: it has a curative effect and also prevents the development of disease.